When Times Are Tough in Network Marketing, You have 3 Choices : Stay, Jump, Or Quit!
Why the MLM jumpers make me crazy!
People who fail to accumulate money, without exception, have the habit of reaching decisions, IF AT ALL, very slowly, and of changing these decisions quickly and often. – Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich
After more than a decade of working in the Home Based Business industry, it seems pretty clear to me that you really have 3 courses of action to take when the ‘going gets tough’ in your Home Based Business.
1. Stay with your Network Marketing company and change something about yourself so that you can succeed.
2. Go to another company.
3. Quit the home based business industry and give up on your dreams.
Now, I do believe that the 2nd and third choice are far more common than the first. Its highly unfortunate, but Network Marketers have a schizoid rap – they often change their minds and make decisions based on emotion rather than any rational decision making process.
LISTEN to an extended explanation of why MLM Jumpers give our industry a bad name:
I also believe that they have unrealistic expectations from the outset. Often marketing that sells them the home based business opportunity does make it seem all very exciting, fast and furiously profitable. But in reality, it is NetWORK marketing – and there are some very real similarities to a regular JOB.
Network Marketing certainly does have its significant differences, and these are why entrepreneurs who choose this path stay with it:
- Unlimited income potential
- Work in your own hours
- Travel – and expense it all
- Get to work with new people/ teams all the time
- There are variables of chance – luck – and SKILL that come into play to make it all very exciting.
But there are also ways that building your Network Marketing business is very similar to a JOB, and this is where people have unrealistic expectations.
- Repetition. There is no escaping the fact that you will always have to repeat the core activities of prospecting, presenting, closing, training, and then duplicating and developing leaders. This is true of month 1, and of year 5!
- Repetition. Leaders have activities to open and close a month and reaching down into the organization to see who is running – and advising strategies for them to WIN. You’ve got to run rally calls and help people achieve their goals – EVERY MONTH!
- Repetition. Drawing out stick and circles and identifying the HEAT – that is every month!
The MLM Myth of Fast, Easy Money Keeps People Jumpin!
The MYTH is that you build it once and then can walk away. The reality is that MLM success is at least a 5 year plan, and thats if you get to a high rank in year 1 or 2 and keep at it to build deep and wide. In other words, you don’t let up – and even then, it may be a 10 year plan! In traditional business you wouldn’t expect anything else – so why in MLM?
Why do people give up so easy and move to another company, or quit altogether? Either they aren’t told the truth, or they refuse to believe or understand the truth. They hold onto their unrealistic expectations and place the blame on the opportunity or their support team.
And then when they MOVE to another company, eventually they find that the same rules apply!
So then they have a choice to make again …
- Stay with their company and change something about themselves so that they can succeed.
- Go to another company.
- Quit the industry and give up on their dreams.
So, how are we as leaders to help our team avoid the choice to either MOVE, or QUIT? We have to set realistic expectations so that they know this is a long term plan. If they start without a Network Marketers skill set, or without a sphere of influence, then there will be a ramping up period. How long will that be? Who knows!
Home Based Business Success Secret
The only way to fail is if you quit <<— the truest story ever told.
Ebb & flow in business is inevitable. If you mastered the system for your company and are willing to apply it like it is day 1 – you cannot lose.
If you find yourself saying things like “I need to have FUN again” – go back to the TRUTH, which is YOU must grow to make it fun where you are, not go to find it somewhere else!
Sure, if you MOVE, then it will initially be fun, exciting and new – but unless you got some sort of sign on bonus, or bridge money, then you are also BROKE and broke isn’t fun.
Unless your current company is CRAP – then STAY.
Understand and go with the fact that there is alot of repetition. Find variety that makes you happy in freinds that you make through opening new markets you travel to – whatever it takes. but choose to STAY.
Don’t be a company jumper – read my “12 Crucial Lessons I’ve Learned in 12 Years of Working From Home” to find the 5 critical factors to consider when choosing a home based business so that you can choose a GREAT Network Marketing company and STICK!
If what I wrote resonates with you – or if you totally disagree – I’d love to hear your voice in the comments!